IP/DP Box® Testing
WE TEST EVERYTHING UNDER THE SUN ®
The IP/DP (Instrument Panel/Door Panel) Box® offers an accelerated temperature limiting under glass weathering method to determine the durability and/or colorfastness of many materials.
This box simulates the conditions found in the interior of an automobile. It is used primarily but not exclusively for automotive interiors. Innovative uses have included the testing of headphones, remote control devices, CD covers and window tinting films. This under glass exposure cabinet was primarily designed to accommodate non-standard specimen sizes such as complete automotive assemblies as well as standard 10 x 15 mm (4 x 6 in) samples.
Controlled azimuth tracking (Arizona only) for maximum solar irradiance and fixed 45° angle facing south (Arizona and Florida) methods are available. A temperature limiting feature prevents the interior of the box from exceeding a maximum temperature by activating a linear axial fan which directs uniform air flow over the test specimens. The fan is turned off when the temperature falls 3°C (5°F) below the set point. An automatic curtain is released to shield the samples from irradiance should the black panel temperature rise less than 6°C (11°F) above the set point.
Various types of windshield or side window glass can be installed for evaluating the effects of different types of glass on automotive interior components. Color, gloss measurements and visual inspections are performed at intervals according to applicable test standards or client specifications.
The IP/DP Boxes meet the performance and approval requirements GM standards including but not limited to: GM 9538P, GM 7454M, GM 7455M, GM 3619M GM 2617M and GMW 3417.
IP/DP (Instrument Panel/Door Panel) Boxes offer an indirect accelerated weathering method to determine the durability and/or colorfastness of any material used for automobile interiors. Indirect testing exposes a variety of automotive products and materials under glass, including:
- Air bag covers
- B-Pillar materials
- Carpet/hat trays
- Door panels
- Glove boxes
- Instrument panels
- Seat belts
- Seat cushions
- Steering wheels
- Accommodates standard 4" x 6" sample or non-standard sample sizes, such as complete assemblies.
- Controlled azimuth tracking for accelerated testing (Arizona only) and fixed 45° angle facing south (Arizona and Florida) methods are available.
- Temperature limiting feature prevents the interior of the box from exceeding maximum limits.
- High temperatures combined with humidy can also be simulated using these test boxes.
- Repeatable results for tests starting at different times of the year.
- Various types of windshield or side window glass can be installed for evaluating the effects of different types of glass on automotive interior components.
- Color, gloss measurements and visual inspections are performed at specified intervals according to applicable test standards or client specifications.
Controlled Azimuth Tracking
- Tracking box follows the sun, with the glass surface inclined at XXXX 51° to the horizon.
- Tracking provides approximately 1.3 times more radiant exposure than fixed 45° angle boxes.
- Each box on site is located so that adjacent boxes are not affected by shading or reflected radiation.
IP/DP Box Temperature Limiting
- Microprocessor-controlled linear axial fan circulates the air evenly in the test fixture to help keep the box from exceeding the temperature limit.
- GM-specified temperature limits — 77°C, 85°C, 93°C, 102°C, or 110°C — depend on the type of materials being tested and their location in the vehicle
- Temperature is measured by a thermocouple on the back surface of a GM-specified reference black panel, with an adjacent thermocouple for monitoring purposes.
- Fan comes on only when the control temperature reaches the set point and turns off 3°C below the set point.
- Automatic curtain shields samples from irradiance when black panel temperature cannot be maintained at or below the specified limit with the use of the linear axial fan.
- Temperatures can be programmed in Centigrade or Fahrenheit.
- Data logging system continuously monitors black panel temperature and can optionally monitor sample temperature.
- Thermocouples can be fitted to samples to evaluate interior temperatures of materials or components.
- Redundant back-up systems ensure sample protection.
IP/DP Box Dimensions
- Length: 73.0 in.
- Width: 37.0 in.
- Height: 26.25 in.
Standards and Approvals
The Atlas Weathering Services Group is an accredited vendor for other automotive companies including Ford and their test method DVM 0020, as well as the performance and approval requirements of the following GM methods including but not limited to:
- GM 9538P — Procedures for conducting under-glass exposure tests to evaluate the exposure tolerance of interior automotive materials, components and assemblies in extreme climatic regions such as Arizona and Florida.
- GM 7454M — Soft interior trim parts.
- GM 7455 — Decorative interior plastic laminates.
- GM 3619 — Flexible laminating films and film plastic laminates.
- GM 2617M — Interior trim parts and performance.
- GMW 3417 — Natural weathering exposure tests for interior trims/materials.